Sunday, April 5, 2009

My First EASTER 1947! A walk down MEMORY lane.



I really love going through my scrapbooks from my childhood. My dad saved everything. He kept such a beautiful scrapbook, love letters and written details of his dating, engagement, beautiful wedding to my mommy. I will post some of the beautiful love letters he wrote during their courtship in the next few days. The memories of my childhood are wonderful. I remember shopping at Robert Halls for our cute Easter outfits and Kinney Shoes for the Easter shoes. Easter Sunday was the only day that the kids got to sit on the Altar during mass. Then after, Monsignor O'Sullivan would pass out Easter candy to the children of St. Mary's.

On many Easter Sundays we would take a family drive. All five children piled into the 1955 Ford Station Wagon along with the best parents and off to the back country or perhaps a visit to La Jolla Shores for an afternoon of fun. Or how about Neiderfranks Ice Cream on a Sunday morning after Sunday Mass. I loved the Butter Brickle my favorite! We would stroll down Eighth Street and windown shop. Since in those days none of the stores were open on Sundays. We would peek into Sprouse Rietz' windows while licking our ice cream cones...We would never quite make it to National Avenue I never knew why but later on I realized it must have been because of the neon lights, the bars like the Brown Bear or the Westerner Bar and the "cute" sailors walking up from 32nd Street Naval Base. Years later, I married one of those cute sailors! Eventually that ended oh well. Happy Easter to one and all...

No comments: